Sustainable management of protected areas in the SADC region: Great Limpopo and Pequenos Libombos Transfrontier Conservation Areas
We are collaborating with Conservation Areas in MZ, ZA and SW to provide data and tools in support of natural resources management and achieve a shared approach towards biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use.
Background and general objectives
This component is based on the opportunity to reinforce the results obtained from the previous Italian Cooperation project “Limpopo Transboundary Program” (LTP) implemented by IUCN and carried out by CESVI. The LTP project envisaged the implementation of cross-border management activities between the three national parks of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area (GLTFCA): Kruger National Park in South Africa, Limpopo National Park (LNP) in Mozambique and Gonarezhou National Park (GNP) in Zimbabwe.
The SECOSUD project intends to improve and/or implement tools for integrated trans-boundary management of protected areas in the SADC region, in particular the GLFTCA, and the Pequenos Libombos Transfontier Conservation Area (PLTFCA), which includes Maputo Special Reserve (REM) in Mozambique, Tembe Elephant Park in South Africa and Lubombo Conservancy in Swaziland. For the GLFTCA, the objective is to implement integrated fire, water and biodiversity management tools with the dual aim of strengthening the cross-border management of the three parks and enhancing the planning and management capabilities of the LNP and GNP, benefiting from the KNP experience through the collaboration between the technical staff of the three parks. As for the PLTFCA, we proposed the supply of field and laboratory equipment to the REM, as well as the start up of data collection and analysis aimed at the development of a management system for fires and vegetation. In addition, we are considering the possibility of proposing REM for inclusion among the wetlands of international importance protected by the Ramsar Convention. We also established a contact with the Swaziland National Trust Commission (SNTC) to conclude cross-border activities (Lubombo Conservancy) in PLTFCA.
- Development of a trans-boundary fire management system (KNP, LNP and GNP)
- Development of a trans-boundary water resource management system (KNP and LNP)
- Development of a trans-boundary Biodiversity Monitoring System (Elephants and Vegetation, KNP and LNP)
- Development of a trans-boundary management system for fire and vegetation in the Pequenos Libombos TFCA
- Creation of a network of weather stations in the LNP and REM in order to gather basic information for the development of the above systems
- Veld Condition Assessment data collection in LNP, with on-the-job training
- Contribution to the study and monitoring of transmission dynamics of pathogens among domestic and wild herbivores in the GLTFCA
- Launch of monitoring activities and necessary practices for the proposal to include REM among wetlands of international importance protected by the Ramsar Convention
List of current partners
Kruger National Park (South Africa)
Limpopo National Park (Mozambique)
Maputo Special Reserve (Mozambique)
SanParks (South Africa)
Peace Parks Foundation (South Africa)
Swaziland National Trust Commission (Swaziland)
PROGES Consulting (Italy)